LAND ROVER CONFIRMS ALL-NEW DEFENDER CONCEPT FOR FRANKFURT MOTOR SHOW 2011
- Land Rover DC100 investigates the potential future direction of the iconic Defender
- Demonstrates the future of Land Rover capability and versatility
- Functional and purposeful design delivered by Land Rover design team, led by Gerry McGovern
- Land Rover confirms its global intention to launch a new Defender in 2015, with no current decision on whether or not the next generation Defender will come to the North American markets
MAHWAH, N.J., August, 30, 2011 - The Land Rover DC100, a modern interpretation of the iconic Land Rover Defender will make its debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.
Land Rover also confirms today, that production of a new Defender is globally intended for 2015, with no current decision on whether or not the next generation Defender will come to the North American markets.
Commenting on the Land Rover DC100 concept car, Gerry McGovern, Director of Design, Land Rover said, "Replacing the iconic Defender is one of the biggest challenges in the automotive design world; it is a car that inspires people worldwide. This isn't a production-ready concept but the beginning of a four-year journey to design a relevant Defender for the 21st century."
John Edwards, Global Brand Director, Land Rover added, "Loved the world over for its simple, honest and distinctive design, we are determined that the new Defender will be true to its heritage, while meeting the requirements of a changing global market.
"We plan to engage with existing and potential customers to help us finalize the details of the new vehicle. One thing's for sure, it's going to be an exciting journey, and we can't wait to get going," added Edwards.
The Land Rover DC100 concept builds upon the essential elements of the car's character and allows Land Rover to open the debate and inspire people to dream about the Defenders of the future. The next chapter in the Defender story will unfold at 09:15 hrs (CET) on September 13, 2011 at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
Notes to editors
- Global media are invited to attend the Jaguar Land Rover Frankfurt Motor Show press conference at 09:15 CET (3:15 a.m. EST) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011. The conference takes place on the Jaguar Land Rover stand in Hall 5.
- A live webstream of the press conference will be broadcasted on www.landrover.com and www.interactivelandrover.com
- Full information on the DC100 Concept will be available on the stand and at www.medialandrover.com
# # #
About Land Rover
Land Rover, the British maker of Land Rover and Range Rover sport utility vehicles, is renowned for providing its' clientele with the most luxurious and capable vehicles in the world. Every Land Rover and Range Rover is equally at home both on and off road, and in any setting; be it in the heart of the city, or traversing the countryside. Today's Land Rover lineup includes the legendary Defender, LR2 (Freelander 2), LR4 (Discovery 4), Range Rover Sport, Range Rover and Range Rover Evoque. Land Rover designs, engineers, and manufactures their vehicles in the United Kingdom. Land Rover is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs.
Vice President, Communications & Public Affairs
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
Wayne York Kung
Product Communications Manager
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC
Go to http://media.landrover.com or http://interactivelandrover.com for news releases, high-resolution photographs and broadcast quality video footage Information about Land Rover North America products is available to consumers via the Internet at www.landroverusa.com.